Sunday, April 03, 2011

Alpha, the Beginning

I woke up at the soundtrack of one of my favorite anime series. I checked the clock on my phone and saw that it was just 2:30 am and i am already wide awake. Usually when i her the alarm i just hit the snooze button every ten minutes so i can sleep. I realized that I fell asleep last night around 7pm and that too is early. I tried to go back to sleep. After a minute or two of tossing and turning, i gave up and decided to read a book. I snatched my phone from beneath me and went to My EBooks. I'm currently reading the 4th book in the Mediator series by Meg Cabot. I was at the part wherein the main character who happens to be the Mediator (a person who can communicate with the dead and is responsible for helping them cross from here yonder) go to the house of another character who was growing to be the antagonist of the book when i fell asleep again. When I woke up again, someone was already banging at my door.


"Ate Let! It's..time.. to..eat!" Thea, my youngest sister said in between knocks. I rolled on my bed facing the ceiling and grunted a response. Apparently, she got the message coz i heard her walk away. It's Sunday! i thought when a mental note/reminder rang in my head. THE KIDS ARE SINGING TODAY! I might not look it but I teach the children's choir at my church and I happen to promise them that they would sing today. Boy, do they love to sing but hate to practice. Not that its bad or anything, even if they run around the music room screaming their heads off, when you place them at the altar to sing, you'll be surprised at how wonderful they would sing.


I groped around for my bottle of water that I keep beside my bed and drank until it was empty. I looked around my room and when I felt that my body's ready, I stood up and went out of my room. I saw my lola walking towards my room and she was surprised to see me. I sleep at my lola's house which happened to be beside our family's house aka the Other House. We live in a kind of a compound where we, the Queyquep clan, are stuck together, except for one of my uncle's family. Queyquep, yes its a weird name. That happens to be my middle name, my mom's last name before she married my father.

I went to eat at the Other House, and found my only brother eating alone. You would think it miraculous for an only boy with 5 sisters wouldn't turn out gay. Well, he was eating a hotdog, no pun intended, and I saw that there's only one left.

"That last piece is mine ha?" I said pointing at it.

"Its Thea's," he replied through a mouthful of rice.

I looked at it longingly and went to the kitchen to look for anything else to eat. I found a couple of eggs, so i fried them. Did you know that adding Maggi Magic Sarap to fried egg instead of just the regular salt would make your fried egg a heavenly experience? Well, that's how i felt anyway when i ate mine.

I was just finishing my breakfast when I heard my father storming down the staircase asking who's already taking a bath. Well, that's normal for a Sunday morning because we are almost every time late for the Englsih service at our church. In a big family, it is vital to have 2 or more bath rooms, especially when you need to be somewhere early, together. Unfortunately, we only have one and so imagine the chaos of 6 siblings and 2 parents taking turns inside the bathroom for 2 hours only.

I took a bath after I finished my breakfast and I'm glad I went in first because that means, I can have a go on the computer while waiting for the 7 others to finish taking a bath. I logged on to Facebook and checked out some notifications, I even glanced up at the 'Friends Online List' and was disappointed at the absence of the one person I wanted to see there. It's been two days since I last saw his name in there. Overreacting much? Oh well. When all of us are set to go, except for my brother who had allergies because of the dust. Well, according to him anyway. It was a pretty long travel from our home to our church, almost an hour and a half. Depending on the traffic too. Wondering why we go there instead of looking for another one closer to home? Answer: My dad is kinda popular in there already and I don't think he'll risk this popularity in transferring to another one.
When we got there, I ran up the stairs, changed into my Choir Gown and left a message for my kids. I dashed back down the stairs and bumped into Tita Dolly (like I planned on bumping her, anyway), she's the one who stays with the kids while I sing with the choir. She informed me that the children will not be able to sing because someone was scheduled to sing, and this person is a balikbayan. You might think, what if she's a balikbayan? Huh. In our church, its a big deal. Think donations. Anyway, I panicked, because I promised the kids that they would sing today. So while I was singing with the choir, my thoughts are floating elsewhere: How am I gonna break the news to the kids?
After the song, I walked back up, one foot in front of the other, and while I was climbing the stairs, I heard Rico (one kid of mine) shout, "Teacher Tolet is here!!" My heart sank lower and hit my butt. They're excited to sing but they can't. When I went inside the Music Room, I saw Sam and Vanessa sitting in one corner while the rest are...hiding. At first glance you'll think that the room was empty except for the two, but when you look around more closely, you'll see foot sticking out from under the table, someone lying under the stack of chairs, well, you get the picture. 
When I rounded them all up, Bea went up to me and said, 'Teacher I'm wearing pink!" 
Last Sunday, I asked them to wear pink and the boys blue as costume for our song. I smiled and said,"Yes, about that. We can't sing today because someone else will sing." Somebody shouted Yehey. That somebody being David, the joker of the group, but the rest, they seemed sad. But you know kids, they are very resilient. After a few moments, they're back to their usual hyper-energetic selves.
I really really enjoy being with them though every after practice I have a voice as good as a dog's bark.
Haaaayy it was a happy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment